The Institute for English Law was set up as an independent teaching centre in the aim of providing tuition and tutorials when such support for LL.B. and LL.M. programs were non-existing in Finland. Access to higher education should be widened and made available in ways that fully implement equal opportunities and ensure that students concerned are involved in an educational experience that give rise to social and personal fulfillment. The aim is to increase access to higher education by creating increased opportunities for students through the development and delivery of tuition and tutorials of academic programs.
High-quality learning materials!
Studying common law opens a myriad of possibilities for law practice and law-related careers world-wide - the common law system comprises 60% of global economic activity. A large proportion of all international transactions are governed under common law. English is the language of international business. With a three year common law LL.B you will be able to pursue a truly international career as a lawyer in companies and international organizations world-wide. Or you may continue your studies in Master of Laws (LL.M) programs or through a bar review course, sit for Bar Exams e.g. in New York or certain other States in the USA. The LL.M programme is a two year programme in which you specialise in a specific field of law.
Why study in Helsinki?
There are more than a few reasons why you should study with us, but here are some of the most important points what we are offering!
- Assistance in the admissions process.
- Acquire a respected diploma with our assistance.
- Tuition in order to attain a fully recognised Bachelor of Law degree title (LL.B)(NB. not a bachelor of arts degree as offered in some organisations) or a master of Laws degree (LL.M).
- A 3 year LL.B programme based solely on legal modules and a guarantee to continue legal studies at master level.
- A 2 year LL.M programme specialised in European union law.
- Academic quality assured by a the Law School .
- A degree that qualifies you to continue with Master of Laws (LL.M) studies at our institute.
- Very competitive fee structure (comparison to an identical LL.B programme yearly fee is 31.500 € and LL.M programme yearly fee is 36.500€ at Kings College London).
- Save in travel costs and living costs in the UK.
- Lectures are held during the weekends which allow you to work at the same time.
- Eligible to student support and -loan.
- Flexible payment structure 1-4 instalments per academic year.
- No need to apply through UCAS (The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
- Programme is comparable to any Russell Group LL.B or LL.M programme.
- Our programme is not part of the joint application system (yhteishaku) and thus allows you to seek and study in other institutions simultaneously.
- Programme is supported by aid and loan from Kela, ISIC student card and a student discount for HSL tickets.
- All our students are covered by private accident insurance.
We offer tuition and tutorials in the following LL.B. modules (we reserve the right to make changes).
- Contract law
- Criminal law
- Legal system and method
- Public law
- Tort law
- Family law
- EU law
- Property law
- Jurisprudence and legal theory
- Equity and Trusts
- Intellectual property
Constitutional and institutional law of the
- European internal market
union competition law
- External relations law of the European Union
In order to ensure quality and effectiveness our tuition is based primarily on contact teaching (taking into consideration the pandemic situation). Lectures are held in the center of Helsinki with good connections from all around the Helsinki metropolitan area. The programmes are full-time and require high motivation and independent studies from the students. Fall semester starts in September and spring semester ends in May the next year. Tuition is planned for the weekend (Friday and Saturday) and allows students to work at the same time.
Student election is based on interview. Student has to be registered as a student in the Law School. The registration process is as follows:
- Contact us by sending us an email from the contact box (REGISTRATION).
- We will be in touch with you and we can arrange a personal interview with Zoom
During the interview we can tell you more about the content and structure of the programme and general practical matters. The interview is free of charge and does not oblige you to start any studies at this point.
For more information and student services contact us by email info (at) englishlaw.institute.