Terms and Conditions for the LLB and/or Certificate of Higher Education at the Institute of English Law
These Terms and Conditions represent an agreement between the Institute of English Law and you for this Academic year.
In this agreement:
1. “the Institute” is the Institute of English Law,
2. “the University” is the University of London external System
3. “you” is the student applying for or enrolled in the programme of LL.B. or Certificate of Higher Education offered by the University of London and in the tuition and tutorial programme offered by the Institute in Helsinki.
1. Fees due to the University for application, registration, module registration and examinations, these are paid direct with the University.
2. Examinations sitting fees are also due to the British Council, this is paid to the Institute who benefits from a group rate.
3. Fees are due to the Institute for tuition and tutorials offered by the Institute, these are paid direct to Institute of English Law.
4. Tuition fees are due to the Institute based on a fee for each subject studied
5. Payment of all fees remains your personal responsibility irrespective of the any agreement you may have with an employer or sponsor or your eligibility for a grant.
1. You may give the Institute written notice to withdraw from the programme of tuition. The timing of the receipt of this notice determines what (if any) refund of fees will be made and your liability to pay any unpaid fees (part Fees above)
2. Where the reason for the withdrawal is serious illness or other serious extenuating circumstances which prevent you from studying, the Institute will in its discretion consider what (if any) refund of fees should be made. You have the right to continue your studies interrupted for a justified reason in the following academic year.
3. This agreement may be terminated by the institute and you will be required to withdraw from the Institute’s programme of tuition and tutorials without refund of fees paid and remaining liable to pay any unpaid fees if:
4. Neither you nor the Institute shall be liable to each other for any failure or delay in performing obligations, if the failure or delay is due to cause beyond that party’s reasonable control, for example, pandemic, earthquake, flood, weather, act of God, or of public enemies, national emergency, invasion, insurrection, riots, industrial disputes, strikes, telecommunications failure, boycott, national or supranational government agency or official.
1. The Institute will use all reasonable endeavours to deliver tuition in accordance with the descriptions set out in its website. The Institute, however, reserves the right to make variations to the programme contents and methods of delivery, both before and after your application or enrolment with the Institute if such action is reasonably considered necessary by the Institute.
2. If there are not sufficient enrolments to make the whole or part of the programme of LLB or CertHE tuition viable, the Institute reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole or part of the programme of tuition and tutorials. Any cancellation or postponement will be announced before 1 January of the academic year. If this situation arises:
1. You agree to use reasonable diligence to attend and participate in tuition sessions and complete written assignments required by tutors. If you cannot attend a tuition session or submit a written assignment you will inform the instructor promptly.
2. The Student also undertakes to participate in any group assignments outside of lecture hours.
3. The Student does not intentionally harm the reputation of the Institution or interfere with the learning of other Students.
4. The Student undertakes to adhere to the agreed payment schedules.
1. If you have a complaint or grievance against the Institution that cannot be resolved by the Chairman of the Board of Directors, you may request the Board of Director of the Institute to appoint a member of the Finnish Bar Association (Mediation procedure) unconnected to you or the Institute to inquire into the matter and make recommendations to the Board of Directors. The language of the Mediation proceedings shall be English.
2. The Institute may become entitled to take legal action against you (for example to recover an outstanding debt). The Institute will not be liable for any loss or damage, which you may suffer as a result.
3. This Agreement shall be governed by Finnish Law.
I have read the above Terms and Conditions. I accept the above Terms and Conditions and agree to be bound by them.